[elastix] how to constrain the optimizer's range?

Stefan Klein s.klein at erasmusmc.nl
Sun Jan 15 14:56:31 CET 2012

Hi Dongfeng,
That's unfortunately not possible in elastix!
In most cases it should't be necessary though. Anyway, if the
registration for some reason diverges to a large translation, the
maximum limit of 10mm would probably also not provide a good registration.
You could implement it in a postprocessing step, in which you modify the
resulting transform parameters after elastix has finished.

If you get too large displacements, it suggests that the images that you
are using do not contain enough information to guide the registration,
or they contain some artefacts that mislead the registration.

If you expect only small translations, it might be useful to limit the
number of resolution to one or two. Then elastix will not blur the
images so much and will in general result in only small deformations.

Kind regards,
Stefan

--
Stefan Klein