[Elastix] Averaging using WeightedCombinationTransform

M.Staring at lumc.nl M.Staring at lumc.nl
Mon Jul 8 10:12:48 CEST 2013

Hi Roy,

From: Pelt, R.F.P. van [mailto:R.F.P.v.Pelt at tue.nl]
Sent: woensdag 3 juli 2013 14:48
To: Staring, M. (LKEB)
Cc: elastix at bigr.nl
Subject: RE: Averaging using WeightedCombinationTransform

Hi Marius,

Thanks again, it sure helped my understanding of the weighted transform!

                <snip>

For the output volume I provide an appropriate output size and spacing, but also force the origin to (0,0,0) and transformmatrix to identity.
(Am I allowed to do this? I doubt if I can just resample to this origin location, but I'd rather not register the averaged volume again?!)

                One resamples  at some origin not to some origin.

This means that if your images are not at the origin (0,0,0) but say around some point O, then you should resample at that location. If you resample to image 001 (as you do below) you should use origin and direction cosines of that image.

With the DirectionCosines set to true, only part of my data actually ends up in the volume, so a  translational  part is missing.

                I think this is due to you using origin zero instead of that of image 001.

Without the DirectionCosines used, I get a result, but the data in the three resulting combined volumes are nowhere close to each other.
(They should end up quite close to each other,  as this combined transformation should be the closest transformation you can get from the currently considered volume to the overall average volume)

Do you have an idea what I'm missing / overlooking here?

My generated TransformParameters.avg.txt:
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                <snip>

(Size 144 144 52)
(Index 0 0 0)
(Spacing 2.08333 2.08333 2.7)
(Origin 0.0 0.0 0.0)                                                            <------ Use origin of image 001
(Direction 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0)           <------ Use DC of image 001
(UseDirectionCosines "true")

<snip>

Sorry for the long question, but I hope it is specific and clear enough to understand what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks again for the support.

Best wishes,

Roy

So, perhaps you can try changing origin and DC and see if that helps you.

HTH, Marius