[Elastix] The Kappa Statistic Metric (and the SSD)

Otilia Cristina Nasui oc.nasui at sri.utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 11 06:38:08 CEST 2013

Greetings,

I am trying a initial translation on two edge images (micro-MR with fixed
micro-CT) as they are two far apart to run any other transform sensibly.

I could go with the original intensity images and the MI metric...but I
thought the edges would run faster and it would give me a chance to try
the KS metric.  However, each iteration gives me zero for the metric
value.   I have tried all possible values for the translational settings.
Could you please let me know how I can begin to address the problem?
Thanks.

PS: I also tried the SSD metric... the values here are in the hundreds? Is
there a potential source of error or am I wrong in expecting the metric to
have <1 values (as per what I get with the MI metric on the original
intensity images.

PPS:I am calling elastix from within Matlab and the images are .mhds
(converted from .png converted from raw data sets from Matlab).  (These
are specimen scans...no DICOM files)

Thank you,

Otilia Cristina Nasui