[Elastix] The Kappa Statistic Metric (and the SSD)

M.Staring at lumc.nl M.Staring at lumc.nl
Fri Jul 12 09:58:28 CEST 2013

Hi Otilia

A common mistake with the kappa statistic is to only give it edges, instead of a closed object (filled). Kappa is equal to overlap, and only edges have little overlap usually. Secondly, since these images are usually binary, you need to be careful with the multi-resolution (blurring) and the interpolator.

Alternatively you can perform a distance transform on the segmentation and use SSD, or use SSD directly on the image data. SSD indeed has a range depending on the dynamic range of the input data, which can be easily understood when you take a look at its definition, see eq 2.5 in the manual.

When converting to mhd like this, make sure spacing etc is set correctly. Alternatively, use a proper converter such as pxcastconvert from ITKTools.

HTH, Marius