[Elastix] Groupwise nD+t B-splines for 4DCT of lungs

Einstein, Daniel R Daniel.Einstein at pnnl.gov
Sat Feb 14 17:28:33 CET 2015

Thanks Geoff and Floris,

Good ideas both. I will give them a try and let you know what I find out.

Dan

From: Geoff Hugo <gdhugo at vcu.edu<mailto:gdhugo at vcu.edu>>
Date: Saturday, February 14, 2015 4:37 AM
To: "floris at isi.uu.nl<mailto:floris at isi.uu.nl>" <floris at isi.uu.nl<mailto:floris at isi.uu.nl>>
Cc: "Einstein, Daniel R" <daniel.einstein at pnnl.gov<mailto:daniel.einstein at pnnl.gov>>, "elastix at bigr.nl<mailto:elastix at bigr.nl>" <elastix at bigr.nl<mailto:elastix at bigr.nl>>
Subject: Re: [Elastix] Groupwise nD+t B-splines for 4DCT of lungs

Dan and Floris,

We have had good results with something similar to the suggestion in 2c on a similar problem. Set up your 4D image as a 4D volume as Floris suggested. Then make a 4D volume out of your TLC image by stacking this 3D image 't' times, and use this as the fixed image. You then perform registration using an existing non-groupwise metric, such as meansquares for CT. This results in a 4D transform mapping each time frame to the TLC image, which is what it sounds like you are after?

You can add temporal smoothing by controlling the bspline grid size in the time direction. If you add a regularization term such as the bending energy penalty, it may help to also enforce smoothness, although we have gotten good results without it. The other advantage to this approach is that many of the basic metrics are multithreaded, whereas the varianceoverlastdimension metric used in the group wise approach is not, and can be substantially slower.

Regards,
Geoff

Geoffrey D. Hugo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Radiation Oncology
Director, Medical Physics Graduate Program
Virginia Commonwealth University
(804) 628 3457